SPORT COMPACT - 2019 Revised October 2018.
Revisions/clarifications underlined, recommendations italicized. Refer to www.imca.com for General Rules.
The rules and/or regulations set forth herein are designed to provide for the orderly conduct of racing events and to establish minimum acceptable requirements for such events. These rules shall govern the condition of all events, and by participating in these events, all participants are deemed to have complied with these rules.
NO EXPRESSED OR IMPLIED WARRANTY OF SAFETY SHALL RESULT FROM PUBLICATIONS OF OR COMPLIANCE WITH THESE RULES AND/OR REGULATIONS.
They are intended as a guide for the conduct of the sport and are in no way a guarantee against injury or death to a participant, spectator or official. The race director shall be empowered to permit reasonable and appropriate deviation from any of the specifications herein or impose any further restrictions that in his opinion do not alter the minimum acceptable requirements.
NO EXPRESSED OR IMPLIED WARRANTY OF SAFETY SHALL RESULT FROM SUCH ALTERATION OF SPECIFICATIONS.
Any interpretation or deviation of these rules is left to the discretion of the officials. Their decision is final. Cannot be licensed in any other IMCA division except SportMod and Hobby Stocks and must be at least 14 years old. Unless otherwise noted, all parts to be approved OEM and must match make and year of car.
1. SAFETY EQUIPMENT: Rules apply at all times car is on track. Snell-rated SA2010 or SA2015 helmet required. Roll bar padding required in driver compartment. Recommended: Fire retardant padding. SFI-approved full fire suit required. Fire retardant gloves, shoes and neck brace (or head and neck restraint) required. Right and left seat head supports required if using head and neck restraint system. Recommended: Fire retardant head sock and underwear, collapsible steering shaft. Driver-side window net required, minimum 16 inch by 20 inch ribbon or mesh style, and must be mounted to roll cage so latch is at top front of window. Maximum four inch tall visor attached to window net. Minimum three inch (two inch with head restraint system) wide SFI-approved five point safety belt assembly required, must be mounted securely to main roll cage. Recommended: Safety belts no more than two years old. Master kill/fuel pump switch required on left side of dash within easy reach of driver and must be clearly marked OFF and ON.
2. BODY/CHASSIS: Any front wheel drive, compact car with three or four cylinder engine. All cars must remain strictly OEM. Must be unaltered OEM-appearing body. No station wagons, convertibles or two seat sport cars allowed, no Honda CRX. Maximum wheelbase 107 inches, maximum one inch difference from side to side. OEM steel unaltered floor pan only. Inner fenders may not be removed. Hood and trunk lid/hatch must be securely fastened. All doors must be securely welded or bolted. All glass, exterior lights, chrome/plastic trim and hood insulation must be removed. Dash may be removed, but can remain. Maximum seven inch front and rear sun visors allowed, opera window may be closed. Skirting allowed, must maintain OEM appearance. Car number must be minimum four inches thick and 20 inches tall and clearly visible, on both sides and roof of car; six inches tall on front and rear.
3. VEHICLE IDENTIFICATION NUMBER (V.I.N.): The V.I.N. must remain clearly visible and unaltered in at least two of the OEM locations. Any car missing the V.I.N. will not be allowed to compete. IMCA highly recommends each racer maintain a copy of their vehicle repair manual.
4. BUMPERS/RUB RAILS: Bumpers must be approved OEM in OEM location, welded, chained or cabled to frame. Front and rear tow hooks mandatory. OEM bumper covers should remain. May have one horizontal bar - maximum 1.75 inch OD - tying front frame horns together ahead of radiator. One additional maximum one inch OD bar may be added for radiator protection; must be behind bumper, within confines of body, no wider than OEM frame horns. Maximum one inch wide by two inch tall steel or lexan rub rails allowed - bolted flush to body. No sharp edges allowed on bumpers, rub rails or bolts. No bars past outside edge of body other than rub rails.
5. ROLL CAGE: Six-point, full perimeter roll cage required. Must use minimum 1.5 inch O.D. with 0.095 inch wall thickness tubing. Rear hoop must have X bracing configuration. Rear kickers required. Recommended: front brace bar from main halo to front cowl. Forward brace bar allowed from main cage to front strut tower. Must have 1.25 inch minimum O.D. cross bar in top halo. Cage must be electric welded and attached using adequate plating (Recommended: minimum 0.250 inch). No iron, galvanized pipe or fittings, square tubing, brazing or soldering allowed.
6. DOOR BARS: Minimum three horizontal door bars on driver side and two horizontal door bars on passenger side. Both sides must have vertical bracing from top to bottom door bars. All tubing must be minimum 1.5 inch O.D. with 0.095 inch wall thickness. Steel door plates, 18 gauge or 0.049 inch minimum thickness, must be securely welded to outside of door bars on driver side. Plate must cover area from top door bar to frame and from rear down post to five inches in front of seat. Must be visible for inspection.
7. DRIVER COMPARTMENT: Minimum three windshield bars and protective screen mounted in front of driver. Aluminum high-back racing seat required. Must be securely mounted to roll cage using 0.375 inch bolts. Driver must be sealed off from track, engine, transmission and fuel cell/tank. No mirrors. No gutting allowed except for roll/door bar clearance. All flammable material, radio and air bags must be removed. Front and rear firewalls must remain and have no holes. Interior must remain open.
8. SUSPENSION AND STEERING: All components and mounts must be unaltered, OEM and match year, make/model of car used. Exception is: Recommended right rear safety hub (for example 1987-1995 Caravan hub assembly). Brace bar allowed between strut towers in front and rear. No other bracing allowed on front end. No weight jacks, modifications, racing components, aftermarket or homemade traction devices allowed. Rear wheels must track straight ahead and be in alignment with front wheels. No more than 2 degrees camber on any wheel. No center steering. Quick release steering wheel is allowed, must maintain OEM column. No aftermarket remote reservoir power steering.
9. SPRINGS/SHOCKS/STRUTS: All shocks and struts must remain OEM, in OEM location. No strut boots or covers. OEM springs may be modified. No bump stops allowed. Maximum one 360 degree by 2 tall spring rubber per wheel.
10. TIRES AND WHEELS: OEM DOT 13, 14, 15 or 16 inch diameter unaltered passenger tires only. Minimum 60 series, M, N, P, Q, R, S, T, and H speed rated tires only. No racing, mud or snow tires. No re-caps, softening, conditioning, grinding, sanding, siping or grooving allowed. Must be unaltered OEM steel or aluminum wheels, with standard bead bump and maximum seven inch width. Reinforcing of wheels recommended. Front tires and wheels must be the same series, size and offset (0.50 inch tolerance); rear tires and wheels must be the same series, size and offset; do not have to match front to rear. Tires must be inside of body. No wheel spacers or bleeder valves. Must use one inch O.D. steel lug nuts on steel wheels.
11. BRAKES: Must be steel, unaltered, OEM operative, four wheel disc or drum brakes, and match year, make and model of car used. OEM master cylinder only, in OEM location. No brake shut off or bias adjuster. Steel brake lines only.
12. EXHAUST: Exhaust manifold must be unaltered, OEM for year, make and model of car used. Smog pump, catalytic converter and air conditioning compressor may be removed. All engines must use maximum two inch O.D. exhaust pipes. Exhaust must extend past firewall and turn toward ground. No exhaust in driver compartment. Track may require mufflers (IMCA recommended).
13. WEIGHT: No ballast (extra weight) of any kind allowed. Any item deemed as ballast will be required to be removed.
14. BATTERY/STARTER: One 12 volt battery only. Must be securely mounted with positive terminal covered. Battery must be in Marine type case if mounted in driver compartment. OEM starter only, must be in OEM location. Car must leave initial staging area on demand, unaided, or go to rear of that race.
15. GAUGES/ELECTRONICS: No unapproved cameras, transmitting or listening devices (exception is one-way Race Receiver radio by officials). 12 volt ignition system only. No ignition boxes. No performance chips. All ignition components must be unaltered, OEM and match year, make and model of car used. Aftermarket analog tach, oil pressure and water temp gauges only. Vehicle computer (ECU) should be mounted in accessible location for inspection.
16. FUEL SYSTEM: Must have complete, unaltered, OEM fuel system for year, make and model of car used. Gasoline only, maximum 93 octane. No E85. No performance additives. Gas tank ahead of rear axle allowed but must install shield under it. Gas tank behind rear axle must be replaced with maximum eight gallon racing fuel cell and relocated to trunk area. Must mount with minimum one inch square tubing or two solid steel straps around entire cell, two inches wide and 0.125 inch thick. Metal firewall or cell cover must be between driver and cell. Fuel cell vent, including cap vent, must have check valve. If racing fuel cell does not have aircraft style positive seal filler neck/cap system - a flapper, spring or ball type filler rollover valve is required. External electric fuel pump wired to the ignition switch allowed with aftermarket fuel cell. No cool cans. Fuel lines through driver compartment must be steel. Aftermarket fresh air pipe and air filter allowed, but no ram air.
17. TRANSMISSION: Must use OEM, unaltered transmission that came in year, make and model of car used. All forward and reverse gears must be operational. Flywheel, flexplate, clutch assembly and torque converter must be unaltered, OEM for year, make and model of car used. Must have inspection hole in bell housing (accessible from top). No transmission coolers in driver compartment. No mini clutches, couplers, torque dividing final drives, locked differentials or CVT transmissions.
18. ENGINE COMPARTMENT: Engine and radiator must be OEM, in OEM location for year, make and model of car used. May use solid engine mounts or safety chains. No accumulators/accusumps.
19. ENGINE: 3 or 4 cylinder in-line engines only. Recommended: double overhead cam. All engine components must be unaltered OEM for year, make and model of car used, must match V.I.N. Must use OEM crank, rods, valve sizes, stroke, etc. No aftermarket racing heads. No high performance or sport car engines of any kind. No turbo charged, super charged, rotary engines, or engines utilizing variable cam-timing. No unapproved alterations allowed to any engine; disqualification and $250 fine if illegal.
20. CAR CLAIM: Refer to www.imca.com for claim eligibility requirements. (A) $1,500 cash claim or $500 and exchange on complete car. Claimed driver has option of accepting cash or exchanging cars with claiming driver. Fuel cell and electric fuel pump (if equipped) are included. (B) Claim does not include 1. racing seat, 2. safety belts, 3. transponder.
AMENDMENTS TO THESE RULES MAY BE MADE AT ANY TIME IF CERTAIN TYPES OF CARS ARE DOMINATING.
For more information, call Dave Brenn at 785-307-8482 or IMCA at 319-472-2201. Copyright © 2019 IMCA.
All rights reserved. No part of this publication may be reproduced, stored, or transmitted in any form, without prior written permission.